Why Give to Cancer-A-Gogo? Five good reasons:
1. We believe the 26 therapies identified in this fundraiser represent some of the most exciting, potentially curative cancer therapies anywhere in the world, using immunotherpy, gene therapy and other creative strategies.
2. The government’s ‘Cancer Moonshot’ won’t fund all cancer research. While the government’s declared “Cancer Moonshot” effort can and hopefully will be a boon to cancer research in America, the reality is that our government moves very slowly and best intentions are not always realized due to political exigencies. To quote Aristotle: ‘Doubt is the beginning of wisdom.’
Each day, each week, each month that goes by when cancer research is not sufficiently funded, is tragic, because cancer is so utterly brutal and undiscriminating, attacking the young and old, rich and poor. Yet cancer is as close to being cured as it has ever been.
3. Research updates available on our website. All research findings of the 26 research beneficiaries of Cancer-A-Gogo will be presented on this website, allowing every researcher to learn from each other. Our hope is that, through intelligence sharing, even more lifesaving information can be utilized to seek cures.
4. No overhead. The creators of Cancer-A-Gogo will pay for all overhead out of their own pockets. From web design and illustrations, to our classic R&B theme song ‘Don’t Fight It,’ to meetings with researchers, travel expenses, etc., no operating expenses will be charged to Cancer-A-Gogo. We want to make sure that every dollar goes directly to research, and not to administration.
5. We Avoid Grant fees. Funds will be distributed to the 26 researcher beneficiaries in such a way as to circumvent the “grant” status approach. Giving the funds directly to each researcher, and NOT as “Grants,” prevents Universities and hospitals from dipping into our donations for their overhead (which can be as much as 60% at some institutions). We realize these same institutions need funding too, but that’s not the intent of Cancer-A-Gogo. Monies will be distributed immediately to each selected group, while a tally is kept as we barrel towards out goal of $325 million.
6. Q: Is anyone profiting from this fundraising, other than the cancer researchers?
A: No. All administrative expenses for Cancer-A-Gogo are being paid for by the McDowell family. And all funds donated to Cancer-A-Gogo are dispersed to the doctors and scientists and institutions leading the war on cancer and conducting the clinical trials to cure it. The only “administrative fee” that Cancer-A-Gogo acknowledges, is that charged by the credit card companies (Visa, American Express, MasterCard) to process donations. This fee is the standard 6-8% of every transaction. (PayPal charges – (Flat rate per transaction 2.9% + $0.30) Checks, however, are not subject to any fee!!